Sunday, February 1, 2009

Caedes - Arcade Pinball: Introduction

Back in 2006 I began tinkering with the idea of a new kind of pinball video game, the result three years later are the blueprints for Caedes - Arcade Pinball. Inspired by developer TechnoSofts's Dragon's Fury for the Sega Genesis and Devil's Crush for the TurboGrafx-16 (two different console versions of the same game) released in 1992, it was one of the most memorable games I had played growing up. Even though I was only able to play it a few times when I was younger its pure awesomnicity has stuck with me since. The premise was to take the thrill of pinball and incorporate it into the medium of video games. The result is spectacular, the game plays like pinball should with the familiar silver ball, flippers and high scoring action but adds to the experience with a huge three leveled table, roving enemies, objective specific bonus rooms and a wicked dark Gothic theme filled with all kinds of creepy special goodness. The fact that a game like this was never really replicated afterward is a total mystery to me, so I've attempted to take up the opportunity myself with Caedes - Arcade Pinball. Essentially I'm taking the universal language of pinball already evolved digitally thanks to the Dragon's Fury/Devil's Crush premise and expanding upon that potential by adding even more unique elements to the mix, hopefully evolving the genre even further.

Photobucket
Devil's Crush, the inspiration for Caedes - Arcade Pinball is now available for download on the Wii's Virtual Console.

In the coming weeks I'd like to post my progress, ideas and development strategies as I continue working on this project. My ultimate goal is to have a playable prototype of the first pinball table in the game, as of yet no date has been set for a deadline. There are a lot of fun ideas and game mechanics I've wanted to incorporate into Caedes and I'm hoping that with a little diligence and patience, a cool new way of playing pinball will be developed and ultimately, shared.

Expect more details soon!

1 comment: